Sunday, August 16, 2009

After while Crocodile (and the Bloomfield Track)

On to the far North as they call it here. Sarah and I were not interested at spending the day on Cape Tribulation as we were planning to come back through. After a low tide walk on some exposed reef we headed up the Bloomfield track. The track is part of the reason that we decided to rent the 4wd campervan. North of Cape Tribulation for 100kms the road is 4wd only. We set off and after only a short distance a stopped to walk out through that rainforest to the ocean. We met an Australian couple who had been on the road for 8 years…they joked about how they would let the “backpackers” (AKA us) walk first when we got close to the estuary (croc habitat)! They were joking and we chatted for a while. I walked over towards the estuary were I spotted something in the water. It was small but after a long while looking at it we concluded that it was a small croc! Our Aussie friends agreed, it was about 3’ long.
On the walk back I found a coconut and husked it with a little help from a rock….I’ve been less pumped on a 5.11 climb than husking that thing!
The bloomfield track was excellent…really, it was much less challenging than I hope for, we are in the dry season. Sarah did need a Dramamine but was a good sport once she fell asleep! The track was very steep in spots…and had a few creek crossings but nothing to really get the “knickers in a knot”. The track took us to Bloomfield falls…surprisingly similar to Ithaca falls minus the crocs and the snakes. Like any other place we have been, I felt the need to go to the furthest point available….even though it required a little maneuvering (Sarah observed from a safe distance….) Because of this I did get to see a really neat 2.5’eel just relaxing in a shallow pool likely trying to stay warm. On the way back I took the alternate route via a long jump and then a “safe rock” that turned out to be a little slippery. I caught myself before the camera went swimming and I only got a little wet... in true Steve Irwin style, I just wanted to tease the crocs. (kidding totally safe)
CROC! Sarah spotted one! It was sitting about 2 miles from the falls, out on a sand bar sunning itself without a care in the world. It was big, 10’ to 12’ and luckily nowhere close to us! With our binoculars we could see it very clearly! Really a neat animal but I have no desire to be in its territory!
We then continued through some aboriginal lands to the Lions Den! On a Friday night I might pick swimming with the crocs over this place! This was one of the historic roadhouses on Cape York track. Even in the middle of the day it’s a sight to be seen. This place has been THE roadhouse stop to make if you are headed north up Cape York. Everyone stops for at least a tinny!



The Lion's Den "Hotel"

No comments:

Post a Comment